There have been a lot of controversies going on about Salary Structure/Monthly Earnings of Nigerian Senators, hence this article. This post will provide more clarity and will serve as a means of settling disputes in this regard.
Note that the figures listed below is the true report from the National Institute of Legislative Studies released for public consumption and shows how much a Nigerian law maker earns (the 109 Senators and 360 members of the Nigerian House of Representatives).
A Breakdown of Salary Structure/Monthly Earnings of Nigerian Senators
Nigerian Senator monthly basic salary – N16,886,666 Monthly
Nigerian House of Representatives monthly basic salary – N16,543,437 Monthly
Nigerian Senator – N1,075,196 monthly
House of Representatives member – N793,832 monthly.
The allowances are on: Vehicle fueling/maintenance, Constituency, Domestic Staff, Personal Assistant, Entertainment, Recess, Utilities, Newspaper/Periodicals, Houses Maintenance, Wardrobe, Estacode, and Duty Tour with another special amount in every four-year period on Accommodation, vehicle loan, furniture, and severance allowance, which make every Senator to pocket N2,007,500 and a House of Representatives member with N1,985,166 within the same period.
When you compare this with how much other country’s law makers, you will see the difference
Philippines annual basic salary – $4, 497,957
United States of America senate – $3,409,422
US House of Representatives – $1,429,909 annually
Kenya – $968,013 annually
Australia – $646,230
United Kingdom – £494,285.43
India – $474,484
Singapore – $253,469,
Tanzania – $230,961.
The Nigerian government has been spending a total of N150 billion per year on the NASS but was forced to reduce it to N120 billion this year following cries that the lawmakers are milking the Federation Account aggressively.
Just wondering why a Nigerian Senator Salary and a Rep’s salary will be more than those of the Military and the police.
NOTE: Calculations made are based on monthly figures.
- See How Much a Nigerian President is Paid: Full Salary and Allowances
- President Buhari presides over APC national caucus meeting
- Trump sex harassment accusers demand congressional inquiry
- #EndSARS Rally Commences as Protesters Give IG of Police 21 Days. Here are Their Demands
- How Old is Nigeria? (Detailed History of Nigeria)
- Unveiling President Buhari’s strongest opponent
- Names Of National Chairmen & Secretaries Of All Nigerian Political Parties 2018
- Presidency releases full list of Buhari’s appointments