The issue of breast reduction surgery in Nigeria, or reduction mammoplasty, is an operation which is sometimes performed to alleviate symptoms associated with overly large and heavy breasts. Nigerian women requiring breast reduction do come about with complaints of neck, shoulder and back pain, bra strap indentations, recurrent skin rashes, posture problems, inability to exercise, and unwanted attention. For these problems to be treated, breast tissue and skin will be removed, making the breasts smaller, lighter, and more firm, to provide the same level of care but closer to home.
For patients with large and sagging breasts, the breast reduction in Nigeria provides a great improvement in shape and nipple position, much like a breast lift. For patients with genuine complaints, breast reduction surgery remains one of the most satisfying operations in all of plastic surgery.
You may be a candidate for breast reduction surgery if:
1) You have saggy or floppy breasts
2) You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too large
3) You have skin irritation under your breast
4) Your breasts limit your physical activity
5) You have regular indentations from bra straps due to heavy breasts
6) You experience back, neck and shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts
7) Your breasts hang low and have stretched skin
8) Your nipples rest below the breast crease when your breasts are unsupported
You are at increased risk for complications if you have diabetes, poor circulation, heart, lung or liver disease, smoke, have a family history of blood clots, take certain medications, etc. You will want to discuss your medical history thoroughly with your physician before you choose to undergo surgery.
The size, shape, and amount of tissue in the breast will change after reduction, most women are advised to have a preoperative mammogram and a postoperative mammogram about six months to a year after surgery for a better comparison.
Steps Before Surgery
Prior to surgery, you will be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation.
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications.
- Get a baseline mammogram before surgery and another one after surgery to help detect any future changes in your breast tissue.
- Stop smoking in advance of the surgery.
- Avoid taking aspirin or any anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding.
How is the procedure performed?
Breast reduction is a surgical procedure which reduces, lifts and re-shapes the breasts. It can also reduce the size of the areola (the dark skin which surrounds the nipple). Many Nigerian women seek breast reduction to alleviate or reduce painful discomfort and other conditions (rashes, back pain, shoulder pressure, skin tags, etc.) as well as to improve the appearance of their breasts. The procedure is usually performed at a hospital under general anesthesia. The operation takes 2-5 hours, and you may require an overnight stay or be allowed to go home the day of surgery.
During the consultation, The Doctor and his associates will understand your goals and desires, and he will review available techniques and scar patterns. The Doctor will prefer to minimize scar by using the latest technique such as vertical scar without the horizontal scar. Although the common scar which encircle the areola, extend vertically downward, and continue horizontally in the crease under the breast may be used for some patients. The Doctor will make every effort to minimize the scar burden. The Doctor makes an incision which is normally in a keyhole pattern: a circle around the areola and two incisions down the breast which will be closed to form one line. Fat and extra tissue are removed. The Doctor will then repositions the nipple and areola to a higher position and removes excess skin from beneath the breast.
In several cases, the nipple and areola are transferred as a skin graft to their new position. This is only done when absolutely necessary, since nipple sensation is almost completely lost. The Doctor rarely uses drains. If he does, they are placed on the sides of the breasts to drain blood and excess fluid. The drains are removed in 1-2 days. The incisions are then sutured closed and taped. We instruct all breast reduction patients to wear sports bras and to avoid strenuous upper body activity for several weeks.
The Patient may drive and return to work once they discontinue narcotic pain medicine. The results of breast reduction surgery will be long-lasting. Your new breast size should help relieve you from the pain and physical limitations experienced prior to breast reduction. Your better proportioned figure will likely enhance your self image and boost your self-confidence. However, over time your breasts can be changed due to aging, weight fluctuations, hormonal factors and gravity.
Your breast reduction procedure will be performed in Abuja, Nigeria. The exact location will be determined after your consultation with The Doctor. Doctors usually perform breast reduction surgery as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia by certified & qualified anesthesia doctor. Doctors performs surgery in the hospital to ensure your safety.
If you prefer, your surgery can also be performed in the United States. However, you will be responsible for the additional cost of transportation and housing in the USA.
How much will breast reduction surgery cost?
Your satisfaction definitely involves more than a fee. When choosing a plastic surgeon for breast reduction in Nigeria, always remember that the surgeon’s experience, results, safety and your comfort with him are just as important as the final cost of the surgery. The Doctors concern are your safety, excellent outcome, and satisfaction. Your fees are discussed with you after your consultation with the Doctor. You will be provided an estimate for your procedure. All fees are paid prior to your procedure.
- Cost of Liposuction in Nigeria
- Salary Structure of Medical Doctors in Nigeria: See How Much Medical Doctors Earn monthly
- What is Mesothelioma? Signs and Symptoms, Types, Causes and Treatment
- Proven Methods on How to Reduce & prevent Stretch Marks on Your Skin
- Salaries of Pharmacists, Nurses and Other Medical Professionals in Nigeria
- Nurse kills 100 patients, gets life imprisonment
- TOP 10 BEST MEDICAL APPS FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS
- 7 DANGERS OF EXTREME DIETING